What type of leader do you love to follow? Some people will list traits like honesty or integrity. Others might want one that is competent and knowledgeable. There seems to be a countless number of attributes and characteristics that leaders need. If you are an aspiring great leader, this task can look daunting.
However, there is one trait that you can develop right now. It takes almost no time to do it. It’s usually the most overlooked of all leadership characteristics.
You see, leaders are leaders because they inspire people to move and take action. That movement and action require ENERGY.
Followers need a leader who will bring the energy!
How do you do that?
In his blog, The Charged Life, Brendon Burchard says “The power plant doesn’t have energy, it generates energy. Similarly, we don’t have an attitude, we generate one.” via Reprogram Your Mind for Positive Thinking
You can easily generate energy. Want to see how? Wherever you are right now, what would you say is your energy level on a scale of 0 (being no energy) to 10 (being highly energetic).
- Stand up (if you’re not already).
- Lift your arms up over your head and stretch upward toward the sky. Now don’t hurt yourself, just stretch upward.
- If you are able, bend forward and try to touch the ground.
- Now, take your arms and do a few arm circles.
- Switch now and do a few arm crosses in front of your chest (maybe even patting the back opposite shoulder with your hand
What is your energy level now on the 0 to 10 scale? Is it a little higher?
- Let’s try a couple more stretches. This time, bend side to side raising your right hand over your head and taking it over to your left side. (if you are able and won’t hurt yourself).
- Reverse it. Left hand over head and bend to your right side.
- Twist side to side at your waist.
What is your energy level now on the 0 to 10 scale? Is it a little higher still?
- Now, if you’re able, bounce up and down on your toes.
- Shake out your arms.
- Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth
What is your energy level now on the 0 to 10 scale? Is it a getting even higher?
You just generated more energy within your body.
Use these techniques before you walk into a meeting! If you are really bold, you’ll have your team do a couple of these exercises before you start the meeting.
Bring the energy that you and your team need to accomplish great things!
This will not only improve the attitudes in the room, it will help you generate better ideas because more oxygen will be circulating through everyone’s brain.
Try it today and let me know how it works! Share this article with others so they won’t think you’re crazy!! 😉